November Member of the Month – Joel Weiss
Joel is one of our most inspiring members! He’s the guy in class that yells “Woo” when everyone is tired and keeps things fun. He’s been working through an Achilles injury/knee injury for the past several months, and has kept his head high and come in consistently. He knows the limitations his injury has caused, and he works hard to get back to competition shape (Joel is a competitive Obstacle Course Racer). And even when something isn’t going his way, Joel never gives up; he just tries harder.
- What made you decide to try CrossFit? I used to train old school, like Hans and Franz!…then a good friend of mine who happens to be one of the top trainers in LA decided to give CrossFit a shot and recommended to me that I should do the same to change things up, that I should train more athletically to increase mobility and flexibility.( The Flexibility Thing is still a work in progress!) I still wasn’t convinced it was the right thing for me, with all the talk you hear that CrossFit is an injury waiting to happen, but I came to the open house about this time last year and I liked the vibe and felt a genuine sense that the Coaches were focused on all the right things including being safe.
- If you were running for office, what would your campaign slogan be and why? I’m not asking you to vote for me, I am just asking you to check the box next to my name! Why? I can’t do any worse than what we have. Can I?
- What is a weird habit that you have? Listening to a song or watching a movie over and over again until I get sick of it even though I know its going to happen!
- What do you do to de-stress? OCR racing I am addicted! It is also another reason why I put CrossFit into my game.
- What do you like most about CrossFit? What do you like the least? What I like-The Coach’s teaching and staying on me to improve my technique. What I like least? The Coach’s teaching and staying on me to improve my technique. But really. What I like about it the most it humbles me, I am not very good at it … yet!… so it has me outside of my comfort zone…I really like the challenge .
2016 11 17